Marco’s mangoes and mango salsa recipe
Summer may officially be over but the days are still balmy, the water is warm and mangoes are still in season.
The only thing better than biting into a juicy, succulent mango, is biting into a free one!
Enter my friend Marco.
His tree was overloaded so he gave us all a bag each of unripe mangoes. I sat them on my work desk and waited (most impatiently) for them to soften and the sweet, ripe smell to permeate their skin.
Finally the day arrived.
I picked up a mango and sliced my knife through its flesh and bit down into its cheek. An explosion of lush tropical flavour enveloped my tongue. I was in mango heaven!
I could have created a sweet recipe, however I wanted to explore a long avoided flavour combination: – Savoury and fruit. Boy am I glad I did.
Healthy facts about mango
– High in vitamin A to promote good eyesight
– High in vitamin C and beta-carotene which fights infection and builds collagen
– Rich in potassium which helps control heart rate and blood pressure
– The antioxidant compounds protect against colon, chest, leukemia and prostate cancers
– Improves digestion
- 1 large, ripe mango – skin removed and chopped
- 1 continental cucumber, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 large, long red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped mint
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped continental parsley (or 1 extra teaspoon mint)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Just as enjoyable on its own.