Gluten free apple crumble porridge
Gluten free apple crumble porridge – gluten free, wheat free, grain free, dairy free, clean and vegan.
Great. Yet another porridge recipe on the net (I hear you sigh with sarcasm).
Yes, it is porridge and yes, porridge is as boring as bat shit but only if you’re:
a) eating it plain
b) eating it with uninspiring and bland toppings
c) well, that’ pretty much it, really.
Don’t give up! Delicious porridge is just around the corner and all it takes is a lazy Sunday morning in your favourite Winter pjs and ugh boots. So, get out of bed, make yourself some gluten free apple crumble porridge and find a sunny spot to eat it as you watch the world go by.
You’ve got soft, creamy porridge topped with a delicious apple pie topping made from apple slices cooked on the stove with cinnamon, ginger and vanilla. Next you sprinkle the crumble over the top made from almonds and coconut and then finish it off with a drizzle of pure maple syrup or honey.
Of course, you can skip the crumble component and sprinkle roasted nuts or seeds over the top. Warning: it might not taste as delicious….
With love & gratitude,
If some of your crumble is in larger chunks you may need to remove the cooked parts as you go and continue cooking until larger chunks are golden brown.
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch (or tapioca starch)
- 1 tablespoon shredded coconut
- Pinch of fine pink Himalayan salt
- 3 teaspoons maple syrup (or honey)
- 2 teaspoons melted coconut oil
- 4 apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 - 2 tablespoons maple syrup (or 1 tablespoon honey)
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup quinoa flakes
- 2 cups almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (or sweetener or choice)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (160 fan forced)
- Combine ingredients then rub together with your fingers so the wet is fully incorporated into the dry. Transfer to a baking paper lined flat cookie tray and spread apart.
- Bake for 10 -15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Heat a large frying pan with coconut oil. Add the apple slices and cook, stirring occasionally until slices have softened.
- Stir through the maple syrup and spices and cook for a further minute. Remove from heat and squeeze some lemon juice through.
- Place porridge ingredients in a medium saucepan and cook according to packet directions.
- Divide porridge between serving bowls, add the apple pie topping followed by a generous sprinkle of the crumble. Dig in!