Kid’s recipe – Chocolate coated frozen bananas
Kid’s recipe – Chocolate coated frozen bananas – gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free, clean and paleo friendly.
My first chocolate coated frozen bananas experience happened as a 6 year old in Coffs Harbour, home town to myself and that of The Big Banana. I remember my first visit to The Big Banana whereby they sold frozen bananas covered completely in a chocolate shell. I was utterly amazed at the concept ( I didn’t get out much as a 6 year old) and I never forgot the magical experience of this visit. Funnily enough I never ate one again – I don’t know why – but I wanted to recreate my own version with a healthy chocolate coating.
These are simple to make. Cut your bananas in half, insert a paddle pop stick in the ends and freeze the halves. When hard, dip them in melted chocolate mixture and eat straight away or re-freeze for later. You can sprinkle all sorts of yummy things over it from shredded coconut to chopped macadamia nuts.
Much healthier than a sugar loaded, nutrient void frozen treat from the corner shop and only 4 ingredients!
Why this is so good for you
Bananas help combat depression, build strong bones, strengthen the nervous system, protect against type 2 diabetes, lower blood pressure, strengthen your blood, help regulate bowel movement, provide relief from acid reflux and heartburn and help prevent kidney cancer.
Coconut oil helps boost metabolism and aids in weight loss, helps boost endurance, detoxes the body, protects the heart, prevents and heals candida, helps improve the digestive system and prevents irritable bowl syndrome, strengthens the immune system, kills the viruses that causes influenza, hepatitis and measles, helps stop tooth decay, helps prevent liver disease, helps dissolve kidney stones, prevents and treats diabetes, kills the bacteria that causes throat infections; and heals damaged tissues and infections.
Raw cacao powder protects against aging and cancer, improves digestion, give energy, improves mood, lowers blood pressure and increases circulation.
Honey helps reduce the risk of heart disease, reduces ulcers, reduces throat irritation, strengthens the immune system, enhances performance and topically can help treat infections.
I hope your kids enjoy these chocolate coated frozen bananas as much as I did 🙂
Love, Tash x
* Make sure chocolate mixture is on lowest heat possible otherwise the mix will overcook and become lumpy and separate.
- 3 bananas, peeled, cut in half, frozen
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 - 2 tablespoons honey
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (to soften the dark chocolate taste)
- Place coconut oil and cacao powder in a small saucepan on lowest heat (important). Stir to combine. Add the honey and stir gently till smooth. Remove from heat and dip frozen banana halves in mixture. Chocolate will harden straight away. Re dip and sprinkle with chopped nuts or shredded coconut.