Cacao banana ice cream breakfast bowl
Cacao banana ice cream breakfast bowl – gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free, clean, vegan, raw and paleo friendly.
Ice cream for breakfast?
You bet! – and why not? It’s all natural, raw, nutrient dense and far healthier than most breakfast options you’ll find at the supermarket. If you’re anything like me and have woken up most Summer mornings feeling like something cold then this will hit the spot. This rings true especially today as it’s a scorcher out there in Sydney. The thing I love about these clean, healthy recipes is that it doesn’t matter what time of day you eat them.
I’ve used frozen banana, raw cacao powder, fresh strawberries, pistachio nuts, chia seeds and for extra decadence some squares of raw chocolate (found in health food shops). If that’s too extravagant for you then leave out the chocolate squares and use coconut chips, dried goji berries or other types of fresh fruit. (I’ve tried this with the coconut chips and raw cacao nibs and it is divine!)
First you’ll need to blitz your frozen bananas in the food processor with raw cacao powder to get that chocolatey taste but let your bananas thaw somewhat first to get that smooth look. You don’t have to thaw it out too much (unless you’re trying to make it look impressive for someone, in which case I am – for you).
After your toppings are added, grab the nearest spoon and dig in. With each spoonful you’ll experience cold chocolately/banana creaminess with fresh strawberry sweetness and nutty crunchiness. A perfect Summer breakfast – or dessert.
Still not convinced? Let’s check out why this is a 100% healthy breakfast option:
Why this is so good for you
Bananas help combat depression, build strong bones, strengthen the nervous system, protect against type 2 diabetes, lower blood pressure, strengthen the blood, help regulate bowel movement, provide relief from acid reflux and heartburn and help prevent kidney cancer.
Raw cacao powder protects against aging and cancer, improves digestion, increases energy, improves mood, lowers blood pressure and increases circulation.
Strawberries stimulate the burning of stored fat, lower inflammation, lower the risk of heart disease, improve bone health, help prevent skin from sagging, help grow strong hair and nails, lower the risk of age related macular degeneration (poor eyesight), reduce the risk of stroke and help prevent constipation.
Pistachios aid digestion, maintain good heart health, control diabetes, help prevent age-related macular degeneration (poor eyesight), help improve erectile dysfunction in men and help prevent anemia.
Chia seeds are good for healthy hair, skin and nails, regulate bowel function, protect the body from aging and cancer, regulate insulin levels, prevent hypertension and help detoxify the body.
PS Happy Valentine’s Day x
Love, Tash x
- 2 medium - large bananas, peeled, chopped, wrapped in cling wrap and frozen
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon (or more) chia seeds
- Small handful of fresh strawberries, halved
- Chopped pistachio nuts or nuts of choice
- Optional: Sweetener if your bananas aren't sweet enough or the chocolate taste seems too bitter.
- Optional: Squares of raw, dark chocolate or raw cacao nibs
- Thaw bananas out for 5 - 10 minutes (this will make it easier on the blades and help to spread out your ice cream).
- Blitz in food processor or high speed blender along with the cacao powder.
- Transfer to bowl and spread out with back of spoon.
- Add above toppings or use different toppings such as coconut chips, goji berries or other types of fresh fruit.