3 ingredient choc hazelnut balls – gluten free, grain free, wheat free, dairy free, refined sugar free, clean, vegan and paleo friendly.
Today I have a super easy recipe for you that only uses 3 ingredients. These delicious 3 ingredient choc hazelnut balls are the perfect sweet snack made with unrefined sugar (dates), healthy fat and protein (hazelnuts) and raw cacao powder. They were a hit with my fellow camping buddies who got to taste test them and let me tell you, they went fast!
I’ve used pre-roasted and skinned hazelnuts which you can find at some supermarkets. I found them at my local IGA store. If you can only find raw hazelnuts, here’s what to do:
How to roast and skin hazelnuts
Preheat oven to 180 degrees C and place your nuts in a baking pan. Roast for 10 – 15 minutes or until hazelnuts become fragrant and skin starts to crack. (Watch nuts closely as they can burn). Remove from oven and transfer to a clean tea towel and keep covered for a few minutes so the steam can help loosen the skin. Rub hazelnuts back and forth while inside the towel. Don’t worry if you can’t remove all the skin. Allow to cool.
Love, Tash x
Why these are so good for you
Dates create healthy bowel movement, strengthen bones, decrease feelings of fatigue and sluggishness, support the nervous system and reduce the risk of stroke and other heart related illnesses.
Raw cacao powder protects against aging and cancer, improves digestion, increases energy, improves mood, lowers blood pressure and increases circulation.
Hazelnuts support the cardiovascular system, reduce the risk of bladder cancer, help prevent skin cancer and premature ageing, help prevent osteoporosis, support a healthy digestive system, strengthen the nervous system, and prevent neural tube defects in newborns.
- 1 cup roasted and skinned hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 10 - 12 medjool dates
- Place dates in a small bowl and cover in just boiled water for 5 - 10 minutes or until softened. Gently squeeze excess water. Drain and pit dates.
- Place hazelnuts and raw cacao powder in a food processor and blitz into a fine crumb.
- Add dates. Blitz further until mixture sticks together when pinched between thumb and forefinger. If mixture is too dry add a splash or two of water and blitz again
- Roll into balls and chill.